.NET and XML
- Course Objective
- Learn how to use XML in .NET applications.
- Learn the structure of an XML document.
- Learn how to read and write XML documents using .NET API
- Learn how to define XML vocabularies using DTD and XML Schema.
- Learn how to transform XML documents from one format to another using XSLT and XPath.
- Learn how to build an ASP.NET web service.
- Students should have exposure to an object oriented language such as C++, Java or C#
- What You Get
- .NET XML textbook
- Course slides
- Course notes and exercises.
- Hardware and Software Requirments
- Windows with Visual Studio (Express), SQL Server (Express) and IIS.
- Course Outline
- What is XML
- Why XML
- Getting started with XML
- Anatomy of an XML Document (Elements, Attributes, Processing Instructions, Entities References)
- XML Namespaces (xmlns attribute, namespace prefix, default namespace)
- Use XmlReader to read an XML document.
- Use XmlWriter to write an XML document
- Document Object Model (DOM)
- External and Internal DTD Subsets
- Define Elements, Attributes, Text and Mixed Content
- Atrribute Types (CDATA, NMTOKEN, NMTOKENS, ENTITY, ENTITIES, ID, IDREF, IDREFS)
- Define a schema
- Associate a document instance with a schema
- Enabling schema validation in XML parser
- XMLSchema built-in datatypes
- simpleType, complexType
- Derive user-defined types by extension and restriction
- Multiple schemas
- Use XSLT and XPath API to transform XML documents
- Create XSLT templates to define transformation rules
- Transform XML documents to HTML
XML Web Services
- XML Serialization
- Building an ASP.NET web service
- Proxy classes
- Passing complex type parameters
- XML Overview
I like the way the course is designed so that the emphasis is on presenting the material from the programmer's point of view. This is in contrast to other hands on courses, where the emphasis is more on knowing how to use the UI. Elizabeth Moore (Passport Canada)
The course was well-taught from a teacher who has extensive industry and teaching experience. Combined with his meticulous attention to detail, genuine sincerity in improving his students' skillset, and unbeatable price, it would be hard to find another course with similar offerings elsewhere. Will Au (Cre8Object)
I like the fact that we do our labs at home and can discuss at the next one. I think the technical theory is excellent. It gives the right amount of details of what happens in the background in order to understand the whole picture. Stephane St. Denis (Passport Canada)
Great knowledge, teacher has a well documented answer for every question asked, was never stumped and answer is given right away. Teacher does not have to look for the answers, he knows what he is talking about. Benoit Hamelin (Passport Canada)
The course is very comprehensive in content; the exercises reinforce concepts intensively, interlinking the hands on aspects. Piyush Sharma (Consultant with Ajilon Canada)